Search This Blog

Sunday 2 November 2014

Freud & the unconscious: the waning of a myth

Note: This is the third time I’ve written on this topic, and although this piece contains whole paragraphs which are unchanged from my first two attempts to make sense of the theory – or theories – of the unconscious, I have nonetheless made some changes to the original wording as well as adding new paragraphs. In a recent programme, the magician, Derren Brown, said that it is not up to us to disprove a theory, but for others to prove a theory to us. I agree with that; nevertheless, where we find ourselves unconvinced, then I think it legitimate to point to apparent illogicalities. So it is that that this blog is a critique – if that is not too grand an expression – of the psychoanalytic concept of the (putative) unconscious. In my final paragraph I will suggest why I think that there is a certain irrelevance to the entire question – of the existence or otherwise of anything that may be labelled as an – or – the ‘unconscious’.
_________________________
It is almost certainly true to say that, in the world of psychology, nothing has caused more controversy, division, and bitter dispute than Freud’s theory of the unconscious: a hypothetical entity which, in his own words, had “its own wishful impulses, its own mode of expression, and its peculiar mental mechanisms which are not in force elsewhere.” It would seem almost as if we had imbibed this notion with our mother’s milk, so commonly is it accepted. Yet if we are to accept the existence of such an entity, then I think the question needs to be asked, “Is the Unconscious unconscious of itself?” If so, we are dealing with some kind of drive which – like sexuality – has no knowledge of us as human beings, and does not reckon consequences. I would have no quibble with this about the unconscious if I could understand its (unconscious) raison d'être. But I cannot. If it suppresses those experiences we have had which are too painful for us to acknowledge, then precisely by what means does it succeed in doing this? We are only too aware of the traumas, missed opportunities, and sadnesses of our past lives. And the problem – insofar as there may be one – is to acknowledge these experiences as ineradicable ‘tree–rings’ (and incorporate them as best we can into that ‘irreducible mystery’ that, finally, we all are).
I might say too, about ‘Freudian slips’ – where the truth of what we really feel about some person or issue slips off our tongue before we realise it – that these are not expressions of things of which we are unaware. They are in fact expressions – albeit involuntarily expressed – of emotions of which we are only too well aware.
However, is it not the case that Freud’s hypothetical Unconscious would need to be conscious of its activities if it were to decide which memories were to be suppressed from consciousness and which released into consciousness – and the optimal times at which these psychic mechanisms were to be operated? To solve this problem, psychoanalysis proposes the notion of a ‘censor’ – a ‘director of operations’, if you like. Here is Sartre on the subject in Being and Nothingness:
. . . it is not sufficient that it [the censor] discern the condemned drives; it must also apprehend them as to be repressed, which implies in it at the very least an awareness of its activity. In a word, how could the censor discern the impulses needing to be repressed without being conscious of discerning them? How can we conceive of a knowledge which is ignorant of itself? To know is to know that one knows . . . (Being and Nothingness, pp52–3. Italics in original. Hazel Barnes translation. Routledge. 1958)
. . . the hypothesis of a censor, [is] conceived as a line of demarcation with customs, passport division, currency control, etc., to re-establish the duality of the deceiver and the deceived. (Ibid, p50)
According to Sartre, then, it is not the unconscious that requires consciousness, but the censor – which psychoanalysts place as mediator between the unconscious and the conscious mind: that is, a second consciousness which operates according to unknown rules and remains concealed from our primary consciousness. It need hardly be stated that such a notion is absurd, and on a par with the invocation of ghosts, demons, and angels as silent operators. A standard description of Freud’s idea of the mechanism whereby unwanted thoughts are kept out of consciousness is given in the Encyclopaedia Britannica:
[Such thoughts] are censored and kept from consciousness unless altered into dream symbols, slips of the tongue, jests or some other acceptable guise. [My emphasis]
Again, how can a censor do its job unless it is aware – conscious – of what it is doing? If I were a film censor I would have to know exactly what I was doing.


It is a relief to turn to Adler, whose writing is clear and whose concept of the unconscious requires no dubious entities, and has no flavour of dogma or religion about it:
The unconscious is nothing other than that which we have been unable to formulate in clear concepts. It is not a matter of concepts hiding away in some unconscious or subconscious recesses of our minds, but of parts of our consciousness, the significance of which we have not fully understood.  
We cannot oppose “consciousness” to unconsciousness” as if they were two halves of an individual’s existence. The conscious life becomes unconscious as soon as we fail to understand it, and as soon as we understand an unconscious tendency it has already become conscious. (The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler, pp232–3. Basic Books. 1956)
We might add that it would seem to be a logical impossibility for two consciousnesses to exist in one brain (mind?): each in a silent tussle with the other – and on behalf of what or whom exactly? Ourselves obviously, but what an Alice in Wonderland world do we here find ourselves in. Further, we talk about the unconscious when we don’t even understand the nature of consciousness.
Looking at the problem in general, I do not see why we should have a problem with the fact of unconsciousness – or ‘out of –mindedness’ – in the mind (and or brain?). Necessarily, it has to be the case that large tracts of our past experiences are for the most part not present to our conscious mind. Otherwise, if we were conscious simultaneously of all that we have ever experienced, we would seize up and go mad. So that there must be a universe of ‘stuff’ stored away, ready to be triggered by any chance event. I can give what I think are two watertight and perfect examples. In 2001 I visited St Leonards – where I lived until I was fourteen – and walked along a road I had not revisited in forty–three years. Passing the church in this road, I noticed a patterning in the brickwork that had held a particular significance for me as a child. What that significance was, I cannot possibly say: I did not know as a child and I do not know now. I think that it was related to aesthetics and the imagination (not that as a child I had any notion of describing aesthetics); but in any case its subjectivity was such that it would be impossible to explain. The main point is that I had entirely forgotten it for more than four decades. My second example – of the extraordinary ‘concealed retention’ of past experiences – comes from my twenties and thirties. After first visiting Florence in the 1970s, I had a recurring dream which featured a vaulted room. On a second visit to Florence – ten years later with my wife – I revisited the pensione I’d stayed in on my first visit. I took the lift to the top floor, and as I stepped out, there in front of me was the vaulted space that I had been dreaming about. There was no question about it: the recognition was instantaneous. And, as with my St Leonards experience, I think it had to do aesthetics and imagination. (And I fully acknowledge that without the writings of Freud, I could not have seen this with such clarity: Freud was a fine writer, and is perhaps best read as literature. He had uncanny insights into human nature, which did not require the quasi–scientific theories into which he tried to incorporate them.)
You may argue that the personal experiences I have related have nothing to do with the suppression of aspects of myself I was loath to recognise or acknowledge: I was not in denial or involved with the displacement of an emotion. This is perfectly true: my examples demonstrate rather the extraordinary capacity of the mind to store past experiences which would remain dormant – or in the one case puzzling – unless triggered by a precise ‘re–encounter’. However, I know perfectly well from my own experience and the observation of others that we can be quite unaware of the reasons for our actions or reactions – under certain circumstances. For example, a friend tells me that – when his wife returned from hospital with their second child – their younger child was up all night throwing up. He knew – yes, at an unconscious level – that things would never be quite the same again. But we do not need to invoke an ‘unconscious’ to explain this. Most of us understand these things perfectly well – as people have done for centuries. Richard Webster, in his Why Freud was Wrong, quotes these lines from Shakespeare’s King Lear:
Thou rascal beadle, hold thy bloody hand! / Why dost thou lash that whore? Strip thy own back; / Thou hotly lusts to use her in that kind /  For which thou whip’st her. (IV, vi, 157–60)
Webster continues:
[A]lthough Freud invoked the idea of projection, he also impoverished it by pinning it into his own mechanistic system. Again and again Freud strangled in false science the very ‘poetic’ insights which he had glimpsed in imaginative literature. (Richard Webster, Why Freud was Wrong. Harper–Collins, revised edition 1996, xiii)
So why did I suggest in my first paragraph that the existence of any kind of entity that might be labeled ‘the unconscious’ is of little relevance? Because I think that the important thing to notice and understand is that human beings quite simply are unaware of their actions, reactions, and motives under certain circumstances – whatever the causes; and that it would be healthier for us if we could achieve a lively understanding of this. This being the case, it would seem that the invocation of an unconscious, accompanied by the arcane theories of psychoanalysis, can only throw an unwanted – and often deep – confusion over the matter. Sometimes a chair is just a chair. Shakespeare’s beadle certainly needed to be on a couch, but it was not that of a psychoanalyst.  









No comments: